The Northeast Arkansas Master Naturalists will host National Trails Day on Saturday, June 2, in conjunction with Craighead Forest Park and the Forrest L. Wood Crowley’s Ridge Nature Center in Jonesboro. National Trails Day is an annual event sponsored by the American Hiking Society. This event focuses on increasing trail awareness through outdoor opportunities such as hiking, kayaking, trail building and cleanup, and other educational events. This year’s theme is “Find Your Trail!”
The agenda is as follows:
• Information booths located at Pavilion 2 at Craighead Forest Park and on the front deck at CRNC will open. Registration for prizes begins.
• A water station will open for all hikers, walkers, and bikers. Bring your own bottle!
• Information on trails of Arkansas, including local hikes near you, and a schedule of activities at local state parks and CRNC will be available.
• Favorite Tree Hike, Pavilion 2: Hike with a master naturalist - a little off the beaten path.
• “LNT - Leave No Trace” Ethics for outdoor activities will be explored. How should I conduct myself while taking advantage of the great outdoors? How long does that plastic water bottle last?
• Dan Kaeples, director of parks and recreation for the city of Jonesboro will speak on the Jonesboro Beltway Project. What is the plan for a greener, more livable Jonesboro? If you missed the original presentation at the city council meeting, this is your chance to hear about what’s happening in Jonesboro.
• “Hiking 101”. What to take? What to wear? What to do if I get lost? All these topics and more will be explored for the day hiking person.
• “Yoga for Hikers.” A yoga class geared for any activity level will be held at pavilion 2. Stretch out those hiking and walking muscles. Certified yoga instructor from Eastern Livity, Holland LeDelia, will lead the class.
Please join us for an enjoyable day at one of our beautiful local parks. Get your trail map of Craighead Forest and CRNC to enjoy a great day outdoors!
Thank you to our supporters: city of Jonesboro, Jonesboro Parks and Recreation, Forest L Wood Crowley’s Ridge Nature Center, Northeast Arkansas Trails Organization (NEATO)